Thursday, May 8, 2008

One game was good......

Watching the Reds play Wednesday afternoon made me feel like I had finally seen what they are capable of. Volquez, is a flat out stud. There were a lot of people upset over losing Josh Hamilton over the winter, but not much complaining now. About the only problem Volquez has is control issues. If he wasn't so dominant, he would have an ERA higher than Arroyo does right now. In 42 innings, he has 52 strikeouts and 28 walks. And a 1.06 ERA, 2nd in the majors. First time a Reds starter has allowed no more than 1 run in his first seven starts. That is amazing for a guy to be pitching in Great American Small Park and be that good.



I heard last week that one night when Volquez was pitching, Greg Maddux happened to catch the Reds game on tv. He had no idea who Volquez was but immediately stated that he loved the way Volquez pitches and that he has a bright future. That, coming from Greg Maddux, possibly the smartest pitcher of our generation, means a lot to me. It is the combination of speed, movement, and a GREAT changeup that makes him so dangerous. It looks good for the Reds future rotation to have Volquez, Harang, Bailey, and Cueto toeing the rubber.



I'm still not excited about the rest of the season so far. We still have Griffey stressing and Dunner guessing, and as a team we freeze up with RISP. And Patterson, is still a Red. He needs to be gone, and quickly. No reason why that guy should be playing anywhere in the majors.



I'll be heading up to Cincinnati at the end of May, beginning of June, and I'm hoping to catch at least one of the Reds-Braves games. I'm also gonna see the Reds Hall of Fame for the first time. The wife and I are gonna take in the aquarium, the Zoo, and some other stuff, but if anyone has any cool ideas, just post 'em. I've only been back to Cincy once since I moved away in 1994, so I'm not sure exactly what I may be missing out on.



And one more thing. I just wanted to say hi to my mom and sister out in Waco, we love you guys and miss you. And hi to my dad and Rhonda out in Midland, I miss you guys too.



Maltzy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remembered a young man I knew that loved the Cincinatti Reds. It was his dream to see them play every day. They even won the World Series while he was there. He has never stoped being a fan whether they were winning or losing. I am very proud to be the mother of that young man who grew up to be a man that I am proud to call my son
His mom, waco